Even in the case of small infrastructure, it is valuable to have in place a good inventory tools with dependency links between the elements.
In such CMDB tools, each componant is called "Configuration Item" or CI. A CI may be a server or a CPU in a server, a software, ...
Depending of the size of your infrastructure, you will preferably use auto-discovery mechanism to build and update your database. This auto-discovery mechanisms will usually be implemented by the way of discovery agent installed on each system.
GLPI together with OCS Inventory NG
- auto-discovery of your assets
- access from a simple web browser to consult, manage, report, ...
- help-desk and ticket creation, automatically linked to any CI present in your catalog
- dependency creation and management between your CI
- follow-up of your software licenses in use vs bough, expiration dates of your support & maintenance contract, ...
- financial reporting on all your assets (acquisition cost per year, ammortization of your hardware, CAPEX / OPEX reporting, ...)
- knwoledge base for your helpdesk and support teams
- authentication and authorization to access / modify / view part or whole catalog
Some other Open Source tools
iTop which is proposed as an integrated ITIL Portal proposing functionalities like :
- Inventory (of course !)
- Service Desk (aka ticketing system) to track end-user request
- Change Management, allowing to track changes occuring inside the IT infrastructure
- Incident Management to track and communicate about any issue occuring within the IT infrastructure
- Knwoledge Base to document knwon problems and solutions
- Reporting functionalities
- Service Management to document and follow all contracts and services under the responsability of IT
OneCMDB is easy to install and populate with data, either by hand or from other data sources. It has a user-specified data model that can be altered and enhanced without programming. OneCMDB allows you to easily:
- Create your CMDB datamodel, without writing a single line of code
- Populate the database, through auto-discovery of your network
- Get data from various external sources through a flexible import and transform mechanism
- Import/export network configuration information to/from NAGIOS Network Monitoring System
OneCMDB is available for free download and comes with source code. You may use, modify and redistribute OneCMDB under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPL v2)